What do we do?
Dietitians are involved in supporting children with a wide variety of childhood conditions helping them achieve their potential for growth and development through nutrition support and dietary change.
There are a wide variety of diseases and conditions that may require referral to a dietitian. In general this is because they result one or a combination of the following:
- Poor weight gain and growth
- Higher than normal requirement for food and nutrition
- Conditions which cause poor digestion of food
- Conditions requiring changes to food intake, for example diabetes, food allergies, coeliac disease and inherited metabolic diseases
- Children who have difficulties eating and drinking food and will require tube feeding
- Children who need intravenous feeding
Service Contact Details
Based at Alder Hey hospital, referrals are for children under the care of a Consultant only.
Frequently asked questions on dietetics and nutrition and other sources of related information can be found at: www.alderhey.nhs.uk/departments/nutrition-and-dietetics/information-for-families/
Who to contact
Where to go
- Alder Hey Children's Hospital
- L12 2AP
- Local Offer Age Bands
Young Adults (16 to 25)
Primary (5 to 11)
Secondary (11 to 16)
Early Years (0 to 5)
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type