Inscape House School
Together Trust offers a range of educational services for young people and adults with multiple and complex learning disabilities including autism spectrum conditions (ASC) and complex emotional difficulties.
All services are accessible to young people across the UK.
Inscape House School
Inscape House School is a non-maintained day special school in Cheadle, Cheshire. We take referrals from all over the UK. Our school can meet the needs of children and young people aged 5 to 19 years with autism spectrum conditions and related social communication difficulties. Inscape is operated by the charity the Together Trust.
Young people within the autism spectrum share a pattern of differences affecting social understanding and social skills, communication and social imagination. We believe that each young person has individual strengths which can be harnessed to support their learning.
We believe that the following, makes all the difference?
• Skills and strategies.
• Personalised approaches.
• Shared Understanding.
• ‘Power with’ approaches.
• Independent and valued citizen.
This response starts with attempting to see the world from their perspective and from there, teaching them skills and strategies to cope with the demands of everyday life.
Skills: Things the person has learned to do independently in any aspect of their lives.
Strategies: Things that help the person to learn and maintain skills.
Crucially, strategies need to be ‘owned’ by the person with autism and should reduce dependency on staff ‘telling’ them what to do.
In doing this, we work in close collaboration with families, appreciating that parents and siblings have a unique understanding of the young person with autism.
Some students may contribute using signs and symbols or photographs and video, others may play an active role in their annual reviews. We also have a very active student council with representatives from every class.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Inscape House School
Together Trust Campus
- SK8 1JE
Inscape House School is based at Cheadle, Stockport and is part of the Together Trust charity, a leading specialist education, community and care provider, offering opportunities to students throughout the UK in our purpose built setting.
The Together Trust offers a range of educational services for young people and adults with multiple and complex learning disabilities including autism spectrum conditions (ASC) and complex emotional difficulties.
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- School Term Time- Monday to Friday 8:55am to 3:00pm
- Please contact provider for cost details.
- Referral Details
Parents and carers are welcome to contact Inscape House School directly, through Together Trust or referrals can be made via the Local Authority.
We hold regular open mornings throughout the year. This is a chance for parents to come to the school and meet with some of the members of the Senior Leadership Team. During the morning there is a presentation about the school explaining what we do. There will also be a tour of the school and a chance to discuss your child’s needs. These dates can be found on our website www.togethertrust.org.uk by calling 0161 283 4750
Admissions do not depend upon a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition but upon a common pattern of special educational needs.
This includes the need for:
· A broad curriculum with an emphasis on the development of social, communication and independence skills.
· Structure and specialism in the teaching approaches adopted.
· Consistency and continuity within and between Key Stages.
· Work to be conducted in small groups with a high staff/ student ratio and/or individual personalised programmes.
Before a pupil starts at Inscape House, initial assessments are undertaken. This is done by talking with parents/carers and the pupil, when possible, as well as speaking to other professionals who work with the young person. This way we can prioritise support that will be needed for developing robust effective transition arrangements. Pupils undergo comprehensive assessments that look at the child as whole. A multi disciplinary team is involved with this, including teachers, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, educational psychology and positive behaviour support specialists.
- Other notes
Inscape House School is a non-maintained special school with National Autistic Society (NAS) accreditation and are registered with Ofsted.
· All staff undergo an enhanced DBS check and an induction program which is assessed against national standards. This mandatory programme of training is refreshed on an annual basis.
· Our school is a special school that specialises in autism. Our staff are well trained - training content covers not only knowledge of autism but also the various methodologies we use in school such as TEACCH as well as other related areas e.g. Sensory Integration, Speech & Language Therapy, PECS etc.
· Inscape House School offers a particularly high level of input from therapists very experienced in working with individuals across the ASC spectrum. In addition to school based Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy , Psychology and Positive Behaviour Support we have close links with health professionals such CAMHS, Social Care, Information, Advice and Support Service(IASS) etc.
· Some of our pupils have additional needs such as epilepsy / dyslexia etc. All staff are trained in the administration of medication, first aid, epilepsy awareness. When required, staff will undergo further training in required areas and are given further support, training and guidance as and when needed.
· Throughout the year there are weekly training / awareness sessions focussing on a variety of relevant SEND issues.
· Our staff hold additional qualifications such as MA’s in Autism, PG Dip’s in SEN / Autism, Sleep Counselling, Intensive Interaction, Dyslexia, Reading Recovery, PROACT-SCIPr-UK® Instructor/Monitor etc.
· The Continuing Professional Development of staff takes place throughout the year in the form of supervisions and appraisals.
· The school is also Asdan, CIE, AQA and OCR approved, a member of SSAT and NASS and has achieved PQASSO Level 2 and Investors in People.
· During our most recent OFSTED Inspection, Inscape House School was graded as a “Good” school. Details of the report can be found on the school website at https://www.togethertrust.org.uk/inscape-house-school
· Further information about our accreditations can be found by searching for ‘accreditations’ on www.togethertrust.org.uk
· As a school we are wholly committed to the Person Centred Approach, where the child is at the centre of the decision making process. We make every effort to ensure that every student’s voice is heard and work hard at facilitating this. Some students may contribute using signs and symbols or photographs and video, others may play an active role in their annual reviews. We also have a very active student council with representatives from every class.