FamilyLine Free Helpline
Family pressures can sometimes be difficult to manage without emotional support and guidance to help. Many people feel confused by what information is available or struggle to access services close to home.
Our free FamilyLine service tackles these issues in a new and innovative way by using a network of volunteers from across the country to support family members over the age of 18 through telephone calls, email, web chat and text message.
The service aims to:
- provide both immediate and long-term support
- help with practical information and guidance
- provide emotional and listening support
- help with understanding and accessing relevant services and information
- provide regular one-to-one befriending support to service users feeling isolated
- access to short term telephone counselling
- a referral into our many projects across England and Wales, where relevant.
How it works
We use a team of trained volunteers with the knowledge and experience of family issues to support service users via telephone, text, web chat and email.
We are here to provide a listening ear, answer particular parenting questions or help with guidance around more complex family issues. We can also provide longer-term support through regular sessions with our Befrienders and Counsellors. All support takes place via telephone, text message, web chat or email and is free.
How to access the service
Family members aged 18 years old and over from anywhere in England, Wales and the Isle of Man can get in touch with the service for free via telephone, text message, web chat or email, using the details below.
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm and 6pm to 9pm
- Telephone: 0808 802 6666
- Text message: 07537 404 282
- Email: email@example.com
- Live web chat
Contacting us out of hours
Do you need FamilyLine but it’s out of our operation hours? You can either call back in our opening hours, leave a message on our voice mail for a call back in our operation hours or if you’re in crisis you can contact our crisis line to get in touch with a trained professional.
- Text FAMILYACTION to 85258
Our crisis messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. We know that getting the correct support at the correct time is so beneficial which is why we’ve introduced our crisis line. This service is delivered in partnership with Shout.
Volunteer with this service
Want to help us make a difference to the lives of adult family members? Find out more about the different ways you can volunteer by telephone, text message, web chat and email with FamilyLine below.
- FamilyLine Volunteers spend their time on the helpline providing adult family members with immediate guidance and a non-judgmental listening ear. They are also available to provide one-to-one weekly telephone support sessions for service users who would benefit from longer-term support.
- FamilyLine Specialists provide information on their chosen topic via email (eg family law, benefits). This allows FamilyLine Volunteers to support service users with the most up to date information, regardless of how complex their query.
- FamilyLine Counsellors provide up to 8 sessions of counselling and emotional support to service users.
Find out more about FamilyLine volunteering opportunities.
Who to contact
Where to go
- L3 1AH
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Open Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm