[Large Text Size]  [Normal Text Size]  [Dark Theme]  [Light Theme]  [Graphical Version]

St Vincents School - A Specialist School for Sensory Impairment and Other Needs

Since 1850 we have had a tradition of excellence in the education and care of children with a visual impairment.

We specialise in providing an all-round education maximising academic achievement, personal development, independence and self-worth.

We cater for pupils from Foundation Stage to Post 16, offering day, extended day and residential placements

Who to contact

Contact Name
John Patterson
Contact Position
0151 228 9968

Where to go

Yew Tree Lane
L12 9HN

Local Offer

Local Offer Description

How will the school /college know if I need extra help?  -  Full assessment carried out at start and a review 3 times a year. All contained in Education Health and Care Plan

What should I do if I think I need extra help?  - Talk to the teacher or support staff

If I have difficulty taking part in school/college activities what different arrangements can be made for me?  - Individual support can be provided to ensure all pupils can fully engage with both the national curriculum and the enhanced curriculum on offer.

How will I participate in planning my targets?  - Pupils involved in their own review process and also in a pupil focus group

How does the school/college know how well I’m doing?  - All pupils are monitored by a system called CASPA

Who will help me to be more independent in school?  - Teaching Assistants, Learning Assistants and Mobility Officers

Who will help me to be more independent in my community?  - All of the above and members of organisations eg Scouts, Rotary Club, Leos, all of who are offering membership through attendance at St Vincents

How will my parents/carers be supported to encourage me to be more independent?  - There are many extra curricular activities to which parents are invited, and parents/carers are part of all review sessions.

Who should I speak to if I’m worried about something?  - Family Liaison Officer or School Nurse

How do school/college staff get extra help from other experts?  - Through strong network links within the West Derby and Liverpool area, and through Continuing Professional Development.

What help is there to get me ready to start college?  - There are links with all local Colleges and transition plans are developed on an individual basis.

What help is there to get me ready to start work?  - Work experience and apprenticeship opportunities available through the Education and Enterprise Village, and Envision the CIC established to support St Vincents

Local Offer Age Bands
Early Years (0-4 years)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Primary (4-10 years)
Needs Level
SEN Provision Type

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

 How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

Through the termly review process.

 How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?

Through areas identified on entry, at review and within the Education Health Care Plan.

 How will the curriculum be matched to my child's young person's needs?

All pupils have individual learning plans to ensure work is appropriate to need and ability.

 How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?

Wellbeing underpins the ethos of the school, and each child’s emotional health and well-being is supported through the EHC Plans and review process.

 What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?

In addition to teaching staff, care staff and support staff, the Community Interest Company and the Federation of individuals and organisations wishing to support the success of St Vincent’s and its pupils, are available to each child

 What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college

Many staff are fully trained in Visual Impairment awareness and teaching,and there is an on-going continuing professional development programme.

 What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?

All activities are advised to parents/carers and all pupils have the opportunity to engage in the many additional opportunities available to pupils.

 How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?

The school has full disability access and the school activity takes place pre18 in the school, and Post 19 in the ground floor area of an additional building.

 How accessible is the setting/school/college enviroment

Full support is advisable from arrival for all pupils – this may teaching assistant, learning assistant, care assistant or appropriate peer support.

 How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life

All children are offered the opportunity to develop new experiences, and support staff are happy to provide that transitional support.

 How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?

Each child has an individual Education Health and Care programme and this outlines the activities in relation to emotional wellbeing and vocational/educational development.

 Who can I contact for further information?

Dr John Patterson, Principal      Mrs Norah Warburton, Family Liaison Officer.